Hi All,

After reading a young bloggers recent post, I decided to disable Word Ads on my site. How could I in good faith continue to write about our wasteful lifestyles and promote sustainable living while ads for things that people clearly don’t ‘need’ were being displayed at the end of each of my posts? That irony left me feeling hollow.

So, for me, turning off all ads is the right decision. Mind you, I’m far from being wealthy and I’m still looking for ways to produce income, but I’d rather make a living strictly based on my skill-set than from gimmicky advertising.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends and family in the USA, and to all those everywhere who are thankful for having the human essentials of food, clothing and shelter. There are so many in our world who are in flux as refugees and who have nothing more than the clothes on their backs. For them, my greatest hope is an end to their suffering and more stable and prosperous lives in the future.

peace~henry

1. Well Done … Ads ain’t cool 😎

Liked by 3 people

2. I have repented David 🙂

3. Your soul is now safe
    from corporate oblivion ✔

Liked by 2 people

4. I’m glad I disabled Word Ads a long time ago. The money they was paying, wasn’t worth it.

1. True. It was a no-brainer and I’m not sure why I didn’t choose to do it sooner.

5. Good for you Henry. And very brave!

6. I want to do that but I don’t know how.

1. Hi H&R,

I hope you don’t mind my copying the same post I just sent to Rosaliene who had the same question…
      If you have a basic WordPress account, you don’t have a choice but to allow their ads to run, at least as I understand the setup. The ads run automatically and any proceeds go to WordPress. When I set up my blog, I chose a premium account–the middle choice–because I wasn’t sure where I wanted the blog to go. With that account, you can turn on Word Ads which pay the blogger a very small amount–like pennies–for clicks on the ads. I had sort of just ignored the whole thing, but made sure they were positioned at the bottom of each page so they wouldn’t interfere with reading a blog post. I’m sure you’ve seen some sites with ads that are distributed in multiple corners of each page. My awareness was l-peaked when I read a young bloggers post expressing his thoughts on such ads and so I decided I didn’t want to be part of such a scheme. Hope that helps.

1. Thank you. I will see what I can do. 🙂

7. I had no idea that there was a way to do that.

1. Hi Rosaliene,

If you have a basic WordPress account, you don’t have a choice, at least as I understand the setup. The ads run automatically and any proceeds go to WordPress. When I set up my blog, I chose a premium account–the middle choice–because I wasn’t sure where I wanted the blog to go. With that account, you can turn on Word Ads which pay the blogger a very small amount–like pennies–for clicks on the ads. I had sort of just ignored the whole thing, but made sure they were positioned at the bottom of each page so they wouldn’t interfere with reading a blog post. I’m sure you’ve seen some sites with ads that are distributed in multiple corners of each page. My awareness was peaked when I read a young bloggers post expressing his thoughts on such ads and so I decided I didn’t want to be part of such a scheme. Hope that helps.

1. Thanks for the info, Henry. I don’t have a premium account, but opted for a “dotblog” account. I’ll check to see if I have an option to delete ads.

8. Catherine Crowley November 23, 2018 at 11:51 am

Lots of love and Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

1. Thanks Cathy. Backatcha! 🙂