1. I think your article is a good read, and its beginning section is impeccable, but it seems well past the time to indulge in basic clarion calls.
    You say “The future is ours to either create or destroy,” but that assignment of agency to us denies the gargantuan weights of history, social reality, and biology. We as humans do not “create” anything but the slightest ripples in our immediate pools. We destroy, though, as a matter of being, culture, social obligations, perceived necessity. Oil pours through our beings like blood, being supplied by an insatiable global supersystem. To think anything within this purview can be changed toward “sustainability” is a simple wish, but aren’t we too far gone for that?

Liked by 3 people

1. I agree that humanity’s historical record is bleak. In the ’90s while living in Seattle, my Subaru wagon sported a bumper sticker proclaiming “Save the Earth, Kill Yourself,” a sentiment I still share. Your description of ‘oil pouring through our beings like blood’ is an apt one.

I suppose I’m naively hoping for a a great lurch forward in human evolution, one that will allow us to coexist with our natural environment. While such a scenario isn’t likely, that vision keeps me going these days.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Liked by 2 people

2. Brett Stadelmann May 18, 2019 at 7:41 am

Well there could be room in a subsequent issue for an article exploring the nihilistic counterpoint…

1. Yep, I was reading some nihilistic views on climate change this past week and it might be fun to write such a post. On a personal level, I tend to care ‘too much’ (if that’s possible) and will admit I can easily get caught up in being a ‘do-gooder’. However, this fight has been going on too long and I’m convinced I’m on the right side of our collective history this time.

2. You’d have to really be ready to contend with your readers’ anger if you went that way, but you’d really be living up to the promise of the title of your magazine.

3. Brett Stadelmann May 19, 2019 at 6:19 pm

If I never receive hate mail, I will consider that a failure.
        Preaching to the choir is important, but our words also need to reach the other side of this cultural divide.

I’ll just be careful not to disclose my exact location 😉

Liked by 2 people

4. Have at it – it should really be a form of fun, even therapy, to look at the world’s predicaments with as much honesty as the process of communication can bear.

2. Congratulations on being asked to write an article for this magazine. 😃

Liked by 4 people

1. Thanks Dracul. It isn’t a big deal. I would, however, like to help the nice, young Aussie editor promote his site. Cheers!

Liked by 2 people

3. Well written and very comprehensive, Henry. I share your conclusion that [t]he future is ours to either create or destroy. We’ve just got to get beyond our differences and work together.

Liked by 3 people

1. As naive as it may sound, I still maintain hope Rosaliene. Thanks for your kind words!

Liked by 2 people

4. The comment you make about climate change deniers being more focused on preserving personal lifestyles is especially important. Ignoring climate change and man’s role in causing it is really a form of selfishness. As long as I get mine, who cares what happens 20 or 30 or 50 years from now.

Liked by 3 people

1. I agree Ken. Selfishness and greed are the two main human qualities that have put our planet on the brink.

5. Thanks for the succinct points, Henry. The unexpected happens: The Trump regime was not widely expected, but in retrospect, it is perfectly explicable. Many are enraged by the rise of a seemingly unstoppable capitalist free-for-all. I join in solidarity with the resistance: if only because I recognize the immorality that generational theft flaunts. Greta Thunberg has my ears and my eyes. So does veganism, the greatest single option that springs from individual volition.
    By the way, I also agree with that bumper sticker from the 90s 🙂

Liked by 2 people

1. Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. The young seem to be leading the way now and I’m happy to be part of their movement. And, a big YES to veganism!

6. Congrats…well done.

1. Thanks for the kind words Jim.

7. Congrats, it’s very good indeed!

1. You are too kind Flavia. The important work is to convince others to take action.

1. Yes, it is important and not easy at all

8. VERY INTERESTING AND INFORMATIONAL – AND YES, SOBERING AND THOUGHT PROVOKING – THANKS FOR ALL THE WORK ON THIS TIMELY ARTICLE.

1. Thank you for your kind words.

9. Congratulations. What a horrible mess we’ve made of things.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks @hitandrun1964. We have definitely made a mess of our home.

10. Bravo Henry. With your broad vision and knowledge you could do make some very important connections between science, culture, history, and technology.

1. What nice things to say! Thank you. Honestly, I don’t think of myself as a writer at all, but I do have very passionate feelings about saving as much of the natural world as possible.

11. Brett Stadelmann May 18, 2019 at 7:38 am

I would like to join the others in saying thank you, Henry.
    If we are to succeed at changing the fated course of future events, it will be due to an immense turning of the tide, with each person represented by a single drop of water.
    Thank you for pushing to turn that tide, and thank for your support. It has encouraged me, and made me feel that, no matter how small or late it may be, I might be able to make a difference.

1. Thanks Brett. I wish you great success in promoting sustainable lifestyles through your new online magazine!

12. Brett Stadelmann May 18, 2019 at 11:21 pm

Meanwhile, my country just voted to keep in power a party that is dead set on destroying the environment. It’s a shameful day for Australia.

1. I had hope the voting results would turn out differently too. It just another signal that individuals must organize and work closely with NGOs to bring about change.

Liked by 2 people