As I wrote in The Amazing Street Art Scene in Bogotá, Colombia’s sprawling, high-altitude capital is a veritable feast for the eyes of those who love exploring streetscapes lined with beautiful–as well as sobering–images, painted by some of the world’s top street artists. The fact that this scene is constantly expanding and changing has been confirmed during my current visit, my fourth to the city.

Street art might be viewed as a metaphor for our lives, since the only thing assured for us, and street art, is change. As the paints and top layers of a wall or building begin to fade and crumble due to the inevitable weathering process, so too does the image that was once so vivid. While a painting may be more vibrant, crisp and colorful when it’s young (or freshly painted), aging often instills an image with more character and depth as the layers of paint, plaster, brick or concrete–once hidden beneath the fresh paint–begin to reveal themselves. While I appreciate vibrant colors and sharp outlines, I savor texture and depth of perspective even more.

These street paintings are in no meaningful order. They’re simply a selection I recently shot in the La Candelaria and Chapinero neighborhoods of Bogotá. While most of the images are to be enjoyed without comment, I’ve made notes on a few. I also wish to apologize to the artists who aren’t credited–those whose signatures don’t appear on their work. I’m just not organized enough to do the research at the moment. Enjoy!

While I appreciate this painting for its technique, I particularly liked it because the subject matter (not figurative) and black and white tones were refreshing after seeing so many colorful images.

This angelic scene is painted on the back side of a sheet of plexiglas and mounted on the exterior of a shop.

And a happy ending–friendly la mascota!

As always, feel free to share your thoughts on any of the images!

peace~henry

1. Very amazing street art indeed.

1. Thanks Dracul. For me, art is absolutely essential for human existence. Street art simply makes it more accessible to a larger number of people.

2. Thanks for this astonishing gallery, Henry. Your evocative and edifying selection is stunning and wide-ranging, a fascinating and encouraging tour. Thanks again and again.

1. Hi Bill,

I’m happy you used the word ‘encouraging’…I feel that art, as well as music, are languages that bring people together rather than separate us as they do in religion and politics. However, some of my favorite art is political in nature and the message is made more powerful because of the medium.

1. Thanks for bringing us genuinely encouraging perspectives and commentary on the profound insights of individual artists. Street art refreshes the spirit, clears the mind, and fills the ruts in the road that religion and politics would have you dutifully follow.

2. I like the way you expressed thoses sentiments Bill.

3. Thanks Henry for giving us a glimpse of a place we are so far away from, and in such a colourful fashion! My favourite: the girl reading her book. Angelic indeed!

1. Thanks Marios. The girl reading the book is the most traditionally executed of the paintings and the most finely detailed. The other larger wall paintings present an artist with unique challenges since there are limitations to how much they can invest in preparing the wall surface in advance, especially considering the outdoor elements.

4. Wow, amazing photos — and apparently there is so much wall art in Bogota, I didn’t see the ones you did. https://kimmie53.com/2017/12/20/cultural-acts-in-bogota/
    I am fascinated how this international art project has brought people and communities together with joy and reflection.
    Enjoy the City! It is such a treasure.

1. Hi Kimmie,

Yes, it’s true–street art (and the fact that it’s easily disseminated via social media) has created a close-knit community of international street artists. I love the vibe great art adds to what are often drab and dull streets. I remember you mentioning your visit to Communa 13 in Medellin and how street is helping to transform that neighborhood. Thanks for commenting!

5. These are soooo interesting. I like to study faces and hands . My favorites of these are – the child/boy/sombrero and child/girl/angelic. Thanks for sharing.

1. Glad you enjoyed. My favorite is also the ‘peasant boy’ as I call him–definitely cute!

6. I’m glad all these artists have a place for their work. Thanks for sharing it with us! -Rebecca

1. Thanks for reading and commenting Rebecca!

1. I like the slices of life from Colombia you provide. -R