As I wrote in The Amazing Street Art Scene in Bogotá, Colombia’s sprawling, high-altitude capital is a veritable feast for the eyes of those who love exploring streetscapes lined with beautiful–as well as sobering–images, painted by some of the world’s top street artists. The fact that this scene is constantly expanding and changing has been confirmed during my current visit, my fourth to the city.

Street art might be viewed as a metaphor for our lives, since the only thing assured for us, and street art, is change. As the paints and top layers of a wall or building begin to fade and crumble due to the inevitable weathering process, so too does the image that was once so vivid. While a painting may be more vibrant, crisp and colorful when it’s young (or freshly painted), aging often instills an image with more character and depth as the layers of paint, plaster, brick or concrete–once hidden beneath the fresh paint–begin to reveal themselves. While I appreciate vibrant colors and sharp outlines, I savor texture and depth of perspective even more.

These street paintings are in no meaningful order. They’re simply a selection I recently shot in the La Candelaria and Chapinero neighborhoods of Bogotá. While most of the images are to be enjoyed without comment, I’ve made notes on a few. I also wish to apologize to the artists who aren’t credited–those whose signatures don’t appear on their work. I’m just not organized enough to do the research at the moment. Enjoy!

While I appreciate this painting for its technique, I particularly liked it because the subject matter (not figurative) and black and white tones were refreshing after seeing so many colorful images.

This angelic scene is painted on the back side of a sheet of plexiglas and mounted on the exterior of a shop.

And a happy ending–friendly la mascota!

As always, feel free to share your thoughts on any of the images!

peace~henry

1. Very amazing street art indeed.

1. Thanks Dracul. For me, art is absolutely essential for human existence. Street art simply makes it more accessible to a larger number of people.

Liked by 2 people

1. I feel totally the same way about art, and street art is one of my favorites in all its forms. I like it because it is larger than life, and accessible as you noted, not only to the wealthy, but to even street people. How good it is to have something to give people with so little something of beauty to break their invisible lives. And the artists don’t have to be juried or accepted into any art groups, etc. so it is the most giving form of art.

Love your writing and ideas; so in keeping with my own ideas about change, etc. Fantastic writing!!! Thank you so much.

2. Yes, street art is often raw and fresh. It might have just been painted overnight and spaces are constantly changing in some cities. There’s an immediacy to each mural/piece that I find fascinating.

2. Thanks for this astonishing gallery, Henry. Your evocative and edifying selection is stunning and wide-ranging, a fascinating and encouraging tour. Thanks again and again.

Liked by 2 people

1. Hi Bill,

I’m happy you used the word ‘encouraging’…I feel that art, as well as music, are languages that bring people together rather than separate us as they do in religion and politics. However, some of my favorite art is political in nature and the message is made more powerful because of the medium.

1. Thanks for bringing us genuinely encouraging perspectives and commentary on the profound insights of individual artists. Street art refreshes the spirit, clears the mind, and fills the ruts in the road that religion and politics would have you dutifully follow.

2. I like the way you expressed thoses sentiments Bill.

3. With the art, I think it is, as you have wisely noted, something that brings people together regardless of any of the outer shells that so many folks carry. This is something I truly love in the farmer’s markets here in the U.S. (the ones I have been to). People of all cultures, colors, languages, etc. come together in peace, all going to vendors who have their foods of their natures, and we all sit together at tables in the shade, laughing together at the children playing and sharing about each other’s foods without being able to speak the same languages. It doesn’t seem to matter; we all get it. And we point to vendors who have the best prices on this or that, and everyone knows what you mean. It doesn’t matter what religion or political following (if any) or any of that other superficial stuff. We become tribe, and we are all members. Suddenly we are all people at our best that humans can be, and so much disappears as we all become as one. It is truly beautiful.

4. Yes, I agree that street art expresses ALL that you wrote and that is a beautiful thing.

3. Thanks Henry for giving us a glimpse of a place we are so far away from, and in such a colourful fashion! My favourite: the girl reading her book. Angelic indeed!

1. Thanks Marios. The girl reading the book is the most traditionally executed of the paintings and the most finely detailed. The other larger wall paintings present an artist with unique challenges since there are limitations to how much they can invest in preparing the wall surface in advance, especially considering the outdoor elements.

4. Wow, amazing photos — and apparently there is so much wall art in Bogota, I didn’t see the ones you did. https://kimmie53.com/2017/12/20/cultural-acts-in-bogota/
    I am fascinated how this international art project has brought people and communities together with joy and reflection.
    Enjoy the City! It is such a treasure.

1. Hi Kimmie,

Yes, it’s true–street art (and the fact that it’s easily disseminated via social media) has created a close-knit community of international street artists. I love the vibe great art adds to what are often drab and dull streets. I remember you mentioning your visit to Communa 13 in Medellin and how street is helping to transform that neighborhood. Thanks for commenting!

5. These are soooo interesting. I like to study faces and hands . My favorites of these are – the child/boy/sombrero and child/girl/angelic. Thanks for sharing.

1. Glad you enjoyed. My favorite is also the ‘peasant boy’ as I call him–definitely cute!

6. I’m glad all these artists have a place for their work. Thanks for sharing it with us! -Rebecca

1. Thanks for reading and commenting Rebecca!

1. I like the slices of life from Colombia you provide. -R

2. Thanks. It’s a very complicated and interesting country.

7. I adore street art! This is a very neat collection! Thank you!

8. Wow – such vibrant talent, I hope the artists behind these displays get the exposure the deserve in the mainstream 😊🔆

1. Me too Cherryl. Bogotá is well-known for it’s street art scene and many international artists go there to paint. Unfortunately, a lot of street artists don’t sign their work so it’s difficult to do an online search in order to see more of their murals.

9. […] Street art in Bogatá, Colombia. […]

10. Great to see some more impressive Latin American urban works also here! We have also some with us in Berlin 🙂

1. Yes, I have great photographic memories of some of the cool street art in Berlin! Me gusta Alemania 🙂